[DeTomaso] coolant Temp senders, engine block

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 18 21:11:29 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/18/12 16 12 36, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Off to the store we go.

Not so fast!   Did you not see my post from the other day?

The OEM Pantera temp senders have their own part numbers which crossed over
to different part numbers from the ones Bill had come up with.   He had
just used random Torino etc. senders.

Let me look for that post....

==========

Hi guys,

Last year, we installed a 260-degree Veglia water temp gauge in Lori's '71
Pantera, which had the stock 230 gauge removed and was fitted with a
mechanical gauge that, while apparently accurate, was very crude and had no
illumination.

Seeking Wisdom and Knowledge, I turned to Bill Taylor's article on
Panteraplace.com to learn about the issue.

http://www.panteraplace.com/page205.htm

Based on that article, I procured a WT324.

What a disaster.

The gauge read WAY too high throughout the range, as verified by a heat gun
on the radiator.   As the car is a '71 there is no resistor in the wire.
Rich Boschert set to it, and with the available resistors from Radio Shack,
eventually got it so that it now reads too low.   I would have liked it if
we could have gotten closer to the mark, but we eventually gave up for lack
of time; at least now the gauge moves and indicates *something*.   I would
like to address it again at some point in the future though.

Wolfgang Geisler in Germany just bought a wonderful red '73 Pantera out of
Palm Springs, and has had it for a week.   On his car, as soon as you turn
the key on, the water temp gauge is registering, and it maxxes out at 260+ as
soon as the car is warmed up, although the car is not nearly that hot.
Clearly he has some sort of issue, probably with a bad sender.

Rather than shooting in the dark, I decided to help him the old-fashioned
way--I read the book.   The Ford parts book, specifically.   It lists two
part numbers for the temp senders.   One for the '71 cars (where it says the
sender is mounted in the block?) and the other for the '72-'74 cars.

Armed with those numbers I marched down to NAPA auto parts, and they
crossed them over to the following Echlin/NAPA parts:

'71:   TS7245
'72-'74:   TS6628

And for further reference, the WT324 crosses over to TS6153.

I was able to get tech data for each sender.

TS7245:

100 degrees F, 156 ohms +/- 10%
220 degrees F, 21.4 ohms +/- 5%
250 degrees F, 17.7 ohms

TS6628:

220 degrees F:   22.7-27.5 ohms (that's all they listed)

TS6153 (WT324):

100 degrees F, 125 ohms +/- 15%
220 degrees, 17.12 ohms +/- 7%

Based solely on the part number recommendation, and without reference to
Bill's testing, I got Wolfgang the TS6628.   Since it only costs $10, I figure
we can start off with that and see how it goes, then either trim it with
additional resistors, or get a different sender if it's still way off.

Just FWIW...