[DeTomaso] Who IS the Pantera owner?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu May 17 22:27:58 EDT 2012

Main goal in owning a Pantera.

My, that's an interesting question.  It's really forced me to think.  Up
until that very moment, I'd never thought of having any specific "goal."

I saw one, it sounded great, it looked great, I wanted one.  It gave me
the same blood rush as the 1971 Mach Mustang did when I first saw -it-.
Goal, hmmm.  To satisfy the EGO?

But with ownership, is there really any goal?
I like to race mine when I can, to feel the thunder and the rush of
going fast.
I like to show it, to see peoples reactions, to make a statement.
I don't so much like working on it anymore.... must be an age thing with
chief mechanic.
Daily driver... oh that would be too sweet to contemplate.  I used to
drive the Mach I every day, rain, snow or shine.  It was my only car and
it got decent mileage.  The Pantera?  It gets good mileage but I don't
think the insurance company would let me drive it every day and it
wouldn't do so well in the winter snows.  So that can't really be a goal.

My goal now, run it, show it, race it, raise money for Autism if I can.
But it's a slow going goal.  I feel compelled to give it up, and the
Mach I.  Pare down the whole classic car ownership thing, move on with
life.  But then it feels like I'd be putting one foot in the grave.

Goal?
I don't know.
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired