[DeTomaso] Another Cleveland comes back to life

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 15:36:57 EDT 2012

Hey Guys,
I don’t get to post much to the forum.  However, I continue to follow each thread regularly.  This week I feel like I’ve taken a huge step in completing the restoration of #5365. This restoration has continued for almost 10 years.  Yes, that’s right 10 years!!  Oh yes, it’s a long story that’ll probably be worth telling someday and has a great moral, but now is not the time.
After about a year and a half of planning, measuring, mocking up, assembling and any other verb that has to do with the building of an engine AND with the help of a great friend and “Pantera brother”, Bill Bitner, I was able to start my 393C.  Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5NmupIq4dkThe music starts about 40 seconds in!
Since the original Cleveland from my car is going to stay in the corner in its all original condition, I elected to build a completely new engine from a 2-Bolt Main Cleveland block I had purchased several years ago.  This block has very humble beginnings as a 302C from “the land down under” and made its way to the US with some other engine parts that I purchased at the time….another long story.  The block had never been bored and I even verified the cylinder wall thickness myself by getting my own “sonic checker” since I couldn’t find a machinist in town who had one.  The block was bored to .030, align honed and zero decked and the rotating assembly balanced.
The rest of the components are:
Edelbrock dual plane aluminum intake manifold – For run in only, switching to Weiand  X-celerator 2V that has been converted to FI for later.
Edelbrock Alloy heads – CNC Ported by Cam Research in Englewood, CO
1.73:1 ratio Harland Sharp Rocker Arms
Probe 393C stroker kit (10669-030-PS-F393C):
4340 Forged steel crank, 3.85" stroke, Nitride Hardened
Probe H-beam forged steel rods,  5.956 long
Probe forged pistons, 16cc dish, 2618-T61 Aluminum, Full Floating
Rollmaster CS3130 – Timing Set
Powerbond Harmonic Balancer
Custom ground hydraulic flat tappet Camshaft
Oil Pan – Aluminum 10 Qt. – Dennis Quella – Pantera Performance
Edelbrock Water Pump – Flow Kooler Thermostat
After building the motor, I decided that I would design and build an engine stand to crank it, test it and run it on.  What better way to find leaks and diagnose problems before it goes in the car.  It also gives me a great platform for converting to the fuel injection and tinkering with that.  Also, I figured when I needed some inspiration to complete the project, I could crank it up and get all the inspiration I need:>)
My next step is to start the conversion to fuel injection.  I hope to complete the process and get it on the dyno before the end of the summer.  I’m really curious to see what kind of power it'll make.  Here are a few pics of the motor and test stand that I ran it on.  Enjoy.
http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=36267
http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=36270
http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=36273
Thanks,