[DeTomaso] The wheel that fell off

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 14 15:06:21 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/14/12 5:25:15 AM, rspink2012 at yahoo.com writes:

> So does anyone have a hub carrier they would like to sell?
>
> A compounding issue is that I installed corvette rear brakes which work
> great. However the I used the stock studs that I thought were just long
> enough. In hindsight I think they need to be longer. Does anyone know a source
> of longer studs?

Carriers are occasionally available, but the damage you describe is
repairable- I think the upright is a forging so with a good welder, then caeful
filing or machining, it could be fixed. And the end caps are part of the
'frozen-lower-pivot-shaft' repair kit sold by Hall and a number of other vendors.
Alternatively, a vendor may have a good used assembly and your fixable
assembly could be a core. Call around- this might be considerably cheaper.
 GT-5 studs are supposed to be longer than standard since the flanges on
the rears at least are thicker. They will be outrageously priced. Passenger
car replacement or racing studs don't bolt in because as you already know from
your adventures with 'Vette rotors, there's not much clearance between the
inside of the rear axle flange/rotor flange and the stud heads. I'd think
long and hard before I cut down a hardened stud-head to fit, even without big
sticky tires. I'd re-think your rotor 'upgrade', myself. Good luck- J Deryke