[DeTomaso] valve ticking discovered

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 14 12:05:25 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/14/12 7 49 1, thomas at hax.se writes:

> I'm using Mr Gasket Ultra-Seal gaskets. I've had problems with the
> "white" style gaskets blowing out with my 4V headers on 2V heads.
>
> No problems since switching to Ultra-Seals.
>

>>>I went straight to the top shelf for my header gaskets:

http://catalog.remflex.com/

Yes, they are more expensive ($52 including shipping).   But they are also
fantastic.   Although they claim that you don't need to re-torque your
header bolts, I have found that a single retorque is a good idea.   After that,
you're done.   They are relatively thick, and compress to conform to
irregularities between the header flange and the head.

I also use their collector gaskets.   Same deal.   They also tolorate
slight angular mismatch between the header collector and tailpipe flange, due to
the fact that they can compress to make up for it.   I actually use two
gaskets on each side to give me double the compression room.

Great stuff--can't beat it, I don't think?

And FWIW, I tried copper gaskets once and it was a complete disaster--they
leaked like hell right away--I pulled them out and returned them to Summit
for a full refund....

Also, as far as header bolts go, I march in a slightly different direction.
  I'm a big fan of ARP bolts but REALLY like their small-head bolts.
These things are full-diameter where it counts (the threads) but have a
smaller-than-normal 5/16 head instead of the normal 3/8 head.   This means MUCH more
clearance to get a wrench in there.   I think that most of the times that
header bolts back out and fall off, the root cause is an inability to tighten
them properly in the first place due to a lack of access.   The small-head
bolt completely solves that problem.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-100-1110/

Those are one-inch length; some heads may not be drilled deeply enough and
would require 3/4 inch length:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-100-1108/