[DeTomaso] second update on clutch slave not compressing fully

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat May 12 22:42:49 EDT 2012

Jim,

Bear with it, there is something to be learned here.

When I first got my Pantera, it had a slight pull to the left.  It
usually got worse the longer I drove.  One day, it nearly locked up the
left front.  The wheel was so hot I couldn't touch it.

I decided to do a brake job.  I sourced another set of calipers from
someone on this list.  I got the closest brake pads I could find at Napa
and carved them to fit.  But  here is the important part.

The -reason- the brakes were riding on the right front is because what
was in the brake lines was no longer FLUID, it was a mass of globulous
black goo.  It was old enough and contaminated enough that it would not
release the piston in the caliper.  Oh sure, it would apply the brakes
when I pressed the pedal, but it wouldn't release back to its resting
position once I was off.

Your clutch situation sounds just like my old left front caliper.  I
think it's time you took the slave apart, blew out the lines between the
master and slave and started over.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie