[DeTomaso] second update on clutch slave not compressing fully

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat May 12 20:10:04 EDT 2012

Yes, the part of the slave rod covered by the boot rotates, so I shortened the rod enough to get the appropriate play. Clutch arm now moves easily-- not binding or stiff.  But actuating the clutch again produces the same situation--  play gone, clutch arm being held rearward by slave rod.  Tapping clutch arm forward w mallet moves it to recreate play, but it disappears again at the next clutch actuation.

So it is definitely the clutch hydraulic system that is not returning to rest position.

I have never heard of a clutch master failing in such a way that the piston fails to return to rest position and instead keeps pressure in the system. Has anyone else?

A clutch slave is just a simple piston in a bore with one fluid connection, and I don't see how it could fail in this way.  Also, the fact that the situation occurs with the rod shortened means the slave piston is now in a different spot and is still not moving, so unlikely to be a binding piston.

Jim