[DeTomaso] Brake question

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 11:14:34 EDT 2012

Brakes will do weird things under stress conditions, most certainly you have boiled the fluid in the caliper. The shuttle valve may not actuate in this circumstance as micro gas bubbles are instantaneously generated at the caliper or more commonly the valve can become varnished over time. Ideally when you encounter this you want to keep rotating the wheels until the disc cools to prevent disc warping. Take this as an opportunity to go through your braking system.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water, which significantly reduces it's boiling point, hence the term 'dry' and 'wet' boiling points quoted by fluid manufacturers. Your fluid should be changed (full flush) at a minimum every 2 years for this reason. Brake fluid is said to be generally the most neglected part of a car, yet one of the most important.

Julian