[DeTomaso] clutch slave not compressing fully

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 9 12:19:10 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/8/12 18 30 52, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> The slave was adjusted as per the service updates book, and everything
> has been fine until the slave stopped compressing fully.  This was noted
> because the pedal has no free play. At the slave the external return spring is
> in place but the clutch release lever on the bell housing comes to rest too
> far rearward, so the10mm adjustment screw does not touch the bracket. It
> can be pushed by hand so it touches it but the next actuation of the clutch
> yields the same result, with the slave not fully compressed.  It does not
> return to proper position overnight or over weeks of time-- it stays like
> that.

That tells me that your spring is wrong.   The spring is normally very
heavy--almost too heavy to remove by hand; you have to use a pair of needlenose
pliers or vice-grips.   It should be under some tension at all times.
Sounds like when the clutch is released, the spring is relaxed and rattling
loose.   If it isn't you have the wrong spring....