[DeTomaso] Subwoofer Options in a Pantera

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue May 8 17:55:03 EDT 2012

...or you have a 1400-watt, bi-amped stereo...

From: michaelsavga at gmail.com
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 16:53:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Subwoofer Options in a Pantera
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com
CC: lashdeep at yahoo.com; detomaso at realbig.com

All I can say is, if you guys can hear your stereo, you aren't making enough horsepower.
;-)
Michael

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Christopher Kimball <chrisvkimball at msn.com> wrote:

If you want really good sound, as the type I enjoyed while driving four days to Chandler, AZ for the fun rally, and another 4 days coming back, and if your car has the same space in the engine compartment as mine, you should cut our a section of firewall behind the passenger seat and mount a box there which extends into the engine compartment (chances are you'll have to custom-make it; that's what I did).  Cover the outside with Dynamat to protect it from the engine-compartment elements, port it, and mount a 12" dual-voice coil subwoofer on the front, which is now where the piece of firewall you cut out was.  The amp can mount just below it at the base of the firewall behind the passenger seat (depending on the size of the amp) or in the front trunk.  The only complication, assuming your electrical panel is sill mounted  behind the passenger seat on the engine-side of the firewall, is that you have to move the electrical components somewhere else.  I use an MSD distributor, so I just mounted the 6AL box, tach control (and cruise control) on the top of the subwoofer box.  The electronics can't be seen though the window because they are under the passenger-side engine cover piece.

Sincerely,

Chris

DeTomaso at list.realbig.com