[DeTomaso] Confirmation of gas tank removal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 7 20:22:55 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/7/12 17 18 30, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Can it be done without removing the engine?
>

> If I remove the headers on that side, and parts of the suspension? Or is
> it
> less time to just suck it up and pull the engine?
>

> I appear to have a rather serious split in my gas tank where it rubbed on
> the body. This was right after putting $150 USD worth of gas in the tank
> of
> course.
>

>>>As I mentioned to you privately, it IS possible to remove the Pantera
gas tank without pulling the engine and gearbox.   People have actually done
it.   All you have to do is cut a gas-tank-sized hole in the left fender and
then extract it that way.

Other equally desperate people have cut a gas-tank-sized hole in the
firewally and extracted it through the driver's compartment.

Both ways are equally smart.

OR you could take the two hours (max) necessary to pull the engine and
gearbox out.

Either way, you better get busy!   LMC is right around the corner!

You also need to decide how you want to resolve the leaking gas tank
situation.   I've heard that late-model gas tanks leave something to be desired in
comparison to their earlier cousins, although I don't specifically know why
that would be.   There are stainless steel aftermarket tanks on the market;
the same supplier makes them for Hall and Byars, although Byars told me he
then modifies it to correct some faults in it and make it better.   Or,
there are plenty of used stock tanks available.   I presume but don't know for
sure that the '71-74 tanks will fit in your GT5-S.

Or alternately, you could determine the cause for your problem and have
your existing tank welded up, and then make sure when it goes back into the
car, that it is secured properly so that it doesn't split open again.

In any case--better get cracking!   You have about six weeks!