[DeTomaso] Failure modes for hydraulic clutch circuit

CharlesMcCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun May 6 13:37:20 EDT 2012

Thanks for all the replies..

Just to be clear, I suffered a one-time fluid loss and filled the reservoir.
>From that point on, I didn't detect any drop on the fluid level after
driving a full day, with perhaps 100 (or more) pumps of the clutch pedal. So
whatever leak I have appears to be a very very slow leak.

But despite this leak, the system wouldn't maintain pressure and I had to
pump the pedal a bunch of times to get the clutch to operate. I wonder if
the fluid leak and lack of operation are unrelated, or at least not directly
linked?

Just to be clear - fill up the reservoir. Clutch will only work after
pumping a bunch of times. Check reservoir - it hasn't gone down. Still
requires pumping a bunch of times to get it to work.

Is there any way of knowing if it's the clutch slave or master that is
bypassing? Based on replies, I'm assuming that is what is happening. The
guilt party is probably dribbling liquid a little as well, but that doesn't
appear to be the cause of the clutch malfunction (although brake fluid
shouldn't be dripping about...)

Besides Marino, who else has quality long-throw slaves?

Thanks!

Charles McCall
Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe
1985 DeTomaso Pantera #9375