[DeTomaso] Speaking of clutch slave and master cylinders

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 6 12:22:24 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/6/12 8 55 19, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:

> I didn't want to hijack Charlie's topic and issue, but I am wondering:
>
> 1.  I have the late model compound clutch pedal linkage, a new master
> cylinder, and have no idea which slave to get.  Several vendors offer "long
> throw" slaves.  What slave cylinder works well?  I will probably get a McLeod
> clutch.
>
>>>I honestly haven't heard of any failures of any of the various slave
cylinder offerings.   Pantera East was the first to offer up long-throw slave
cylinders.   Wilkinson sells stock replacement slaves for about half the
cost.   I know that Wilkinson and others are selling masters are Bad News
Indeed, but I haven't heard of any slave failures.

> >2.  I have heard of newer reproduction master cylinders leaking.  How do
> I tell if I have one of the reproduction master cylinders that leak? I'm
> not fond of trying it just to find it leaks.
>
>>>A PCNC member suffered his FIFTH clutch master failure in about two
months on the way home from the Fun Rally.

If it looks like this:

With "DeTomaso" cast into the left side, and a generic bottle with a blank
cover, you're screwed. :<(