[DeTomaso] Failure modes for hydraulic clutch circuit

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 6 12:13:17 EDT 2012

In a message dated 5/6/12 6 19 14, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Do these symptoms match the classic failure of something? Clutch master,
> for
> example? Where should I be looking for the fluid that leaked out? The
> clutch
> master and slave are at least 12 years old, and may be original to the
> car,
> along with the red plastic line to the slave.
>

>>>The fact that you suffered a fluid loss would indicate that you are NOT
suffering from the symptoms that have befallen many, many Pantera owners of
late--failures of recently-replaced clutch master cylinders due to fluid
bypassing the seals internally.

You have a leak.   It should be a fairly straightforward process to find
and eliminate the leak.   If it's the slave cylinder, it will be spooging all
over the place back there.   You can easily just replace the slave.   If
it's the master cylinder, chances are it dumped a bunch of brake fluid into
your footwell.   Fortunately brake fluid is water-soluble, but you will
definitely want to give the carpet a thorough shampoo and wash.   Then replace the
master (you should get one of the Good Ones, from Roland, since you're over
in his neighborhood anyway).

If the leak is somewhere enroute, i.e. a bad line, then it's a simple
matter to find and fix that.   The red plastic hose that connects the back of the
hard line with the top of the slave cylinder is notoriously bad, and those
will sometimes just blow apart where the hose is pressed onto the metal
fittings.   A braided stainless steel replacement can easily be had which will
last forever.

Let us know what you find out!