[DeTomaso] Quick-and-dirty review of Mike Boward's Pantera for sale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 1 13:51:38 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

Here's a quick-and-dirty review of Mike Boward's Pantera #4124 that's for
sale:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomaso4Sale/THPNMD04124.asp?

The engine is a 351C with a polished Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 625 cfm
carb, completely rebuilt with a Comp Cams 270H cam (.519 lift, 270 degrees
duration, 110 degree lobe separation).   New bolt-ons (Edelbrock water pump,
Mallory fuel pump, etc.)

Exhaust consists of Hedmann headers and stock tailpipes.

Stainless steel water bottles, cooling pipes, and a killer Ron Davis
radiator with dual sucker fans from Pantera Performance Center.

Painted engine bay

Gas tank filler gooseneck added to the top of the tank--a very nice
feature.

The gas tank and water bottle covers are there, but the engine screen is
missing entirely (lost?)

The fiberglass trunk is missing/lost as well. :<(

The interior is basically stock and looks great.   The radiator fans both
operate automatically, but there is also a manual fan override switch (the
bottom, blank switch on the instrument panel).

Simpson four-point harnesses

The headliner is missing, and the fiberglass trim piece with the dome light
is removed, but comes with the car.

The steering wheel has been replaced with a Lecarra wheel, and as often
happens with this modification, when the hub nut was overtightened it shattered
the nylon bushing in the bottom of the steering column tube.   This results
in the steering wheel being about to boing in and out about 1/2 inch.   The
fix is a brass replacement bushing which costs about $25.

The steering rack needs to be rebuilt, and that entails fitment of a
replacement brass bushing there also, which costs $40.   The early cars like this
one suffer from poor steering geometry, easily rectified with the fitment of
L-model style shims and longer bolts.   I have a machinist make these
things for me, and that kit costs $40 as well.

If you bought the car and wanted these two items fixed, we could do them at
my house (about an hour away) before you drove the car home.

The "GEN" light is on and the ammeter shows zero charge, meaning that
either the alternator has quit, or the voltage regulator, or that there's a
wiring problem.   I can't really help with that, but friends in the area easily
could figure it out.

The windshield wiper arms and blades are missing also, which is a bit of a
bummer.   It would be nice if these could be found prior to the sale (that
means a full Easter egg hunt in the garage), as they are rare and very
expensive, although I believe Larry Stock is now making quality reproductions.

The car starts and runs just fine.   It took awhile to get it started
because it hadn't run in a year, but dribbling fuel into the carb gave us just
enough to get it running, and once the fuel pump did its thing, it ran
perfectly.   The clutch action is very light (Centerforce clutch), and the steering
feels fine other than the blown-out bushings mentioned above.   The brakes
(with Porterfield R4S pads and an uprated master cylinder) worked fine as
well.

The ZF shifts smoothly, no issues there either.

I wasn't able to get under the car for a full rust inspection, but given
its history of a full restoration with minor rust repairs at that time, and
its subsequent life as a cream-puff garage queen in a very friendly California
inland environment, I'd be shocked if any rust had materialized since then.

In short, this is a car that (once the aforementioned minor problems were
repaired) I'd feel quite comfortable hopping into and driving straight across
the country.   (You'd have to pack light due to the missing trunk--I would
probably plan a route past one of the Pantera vendors and pick one up along
the way!   It would be cheaper than buying one, since the shipping costs for
such a large item are enormous.)

Let me know if you have any further questions?

Cheers!