[DeTomaso] Suspension bushings - extraction

David D Fisher fisher95020 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 21:45:55 EDT 2012

Can anyone lend some ideas on how to extract the extension bushings from all the
suspension arms?   I have welded up a jig with a piece of iron pipe that is just
large enough to clear the largest diameter steel flange on the bushings, but
given that all the bushing ends can only be supported on one side in a press,
and the bushings are taking about 4 tons of pressure to get out  (according to
the gauge on the press for the two I managed to extract),  I am having a heck of
a time.   I've used penetrating oil and have not yet resorted to heat, but the
real challenge is holding the arm in a level position from only one side without
bending it.

Thanks

David