[DeTomaso] Any interest in dual (no booster) brake MC conversion?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 22:37:22 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/28/12 19 18 38, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I can email photos to anyone interested.  It really cleans up the front
> trunk.  Maybe not a good idea with stock calipers, but if you have big
> brakes, seem like the way to go.

FWIW, Geoff Peters has been struggling to make his GT5 stop after he
ditched the brake booster to save weight (!?)

He's got six-piston Wilwoods on the front and four-piston in the rear.   He
has gone through numerous different sized master cylinders in an attempt to
get the car to stop properly, to no avail.   It still requires an enormous
amount of pedal effort.   I drove the car from England to Modena and back,
and it wasn't nearly as pleasant as it might have been otherwise.

The fundamental problem is that the pedal doesn't have enough mechanical
advantage.   Normally when cars are available either with, or without power
brakes, they have a different brake pedal depending on the application; the
one without power has a much higher leverage ratio.

What is your reasoning behind getting rid of the power assist?