[DeTomaso] Edelbrock vs. stock intake?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 21:11:32 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

Anthony Hale in England just tried to put a new MSD ready-to-run
distributor into his bone-stock Pantera, and now his stock air cleaner is crashing
into the distributor.   Even though it's small-base, it's evidently not
small-something--perhaps it's taller than the stock one?

Question--my general impression is that the carburetor base pad is further
aft on an Edelbrock Performer intake, compared to the stock iron intake.
In other words, fitting that intake might move the carb (and air cleaner)
back enough to provide the necessary clearance.

That's a total WAG on my part since I don't have access to either style of
intake at the moment.   Can somebody confirm or deny?   And if one someone
can't confirm, perhaps a bunch of someones can, by providing the
measurements?   What is the distance from the center of the intake at the leading edge
(where it wraps around the distributor) to the front of the carb base pad on
each style?

Standing by--thanks!