[DeTomaso] Subject: LAYDOWN OR STRAIGHT UP RADIATOR

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 11:59:30 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/25/12 20 47 25, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> But I don't claim to be an expert on the "special Cleveland thermostat"
> issue so I don't know if that could also be a problem.

It is.   At freeway speeds, the engine is turning at 3000-4000 rpm, and the
water pump is pumping much more water through the radiator.   Even though
much of the water is bypassing and staying internal to the engine, enough is
going forward (and there is enough airflow through the excellent radiator he
has) that the engine is able to run reasonably cool.

But the minute the system is challenged, by higher ambient temperatures, or
sustained low-rpm operation, overheating becomes an issue.

Tony Blevins had exactly that issue with his '72 Euro GTS, which we
resolved last weekend through the fitment of a proper 351C thermostat to replace
the 351W unit he had before.   While we also fit larger fans at the same time,
they had no genuine effect, as now the car cools properly such that the
second fan doesn't even need to turn on....