[DeTomaso] Subject: LAYDOWN OR STRAIGHT UP RADIATOR

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 11:32:55 EDT 2012

If the 160 is a Windsor t-stat then that is likely most of your problem right there, change to a Cleveland specific t-stat (with the hat) and report back. Don't underestimate the impact that t-stat has on cooling..... FWIW when I purchased my first Pantera I wasn't very knowledgeable and it was overheating, I was at the stage when I knew enough to be dangerous and found a lot of online information on aluminum radiator upgrades etc. I went through the upgrade with radiator, fans, water pump etc. before I learned enough and searched hard enough to discover the typical thermostat issues, yes it had a Windsor t-stat and I probably could have fixed the overheating for a $5 part, rather than the combination of $1,000 parts. The most recent Pantera I purchased had no cooling upgrades other than water pump and ran perfect temperature.

Functionally the upright or lay down radiator makes no difference to cooling, just easier access to the now rear mounted sucker fans. Depending on what brand fans the shop used some radiator lay forward may be required for fitment.

Julian