[DeTomaso] Recommendations of auto shipping companies and insurance companies for a Pantera.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 11:10:09 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/24/12 23 30 52, denman at gmail.com writes:

> I'm in the process of purchasing a Pantera and will need to hire an auto
> shipping company to transport it around 650 miles to California. I'd
> appreciate any recommendations as well as companies to avoid.
>

>>>650 miles?   Shoot, that's a single long day's drive.   Why not just
drive it home?

I just shipped my GT350 clone from Detroit to California which is a bit
longer--3500 miles or so.   I found lots and lots of scum-sucking bottom-feeder
car brokers who promised the world but had nothing to back it up with.
They will claim they can ship your car for X dollars, but when you press them
for details, you learn that they don't even own a truck!   They just sit in
a dark room in front of a glowing computer, agree to ship your car, and once
they have your money, THEN they go looking for an independent,
often-unknown individual to agree to take on the job for a lesser amount (they pocket
the difference).

No way I was going to agree to that, so I stuck with the major companies.
In the end, I wound up going with Passport, who I have used several times
in the past.   They were expensive ($1800) but extremely professional, and
there's a lot to be said for peace of mind.

I'd reiterate though--if it's only 650 miles away, you should drive it.
And if Phoenix is partway between where it is and where it needs to be, you
should drive it via the POCA Fun Rally in just a few short weeks!

John Maffeo bought a Pantera sight-unseen out of Houston and was
considering having it trucked to his home in Seattle; I convinced him otherwise, and
so we both flew to Houston (and met each other there for the first time),
hopped in the car, and drove it 750 miles to the POCA Fun Rally; I then flew
home and he drove the rest of the way in convoy with other Seattle-area
owners.

In retrospect, he'd never consider doing it any other way! :>)