[DeTomaso] I *hate* it when that happens....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 09:15:50 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/23/12 0 41 14, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Fine thread in aluminum seems like an odd choice, even in the stock steel
> flywheel I'd expect coarse thread but could be wrong there.
>
>>>These *are* coarse thread.   I think I misspoke before--the stock Ford
bolt size is 5/16-18.   The problem is the lack of thread engagement.

> >Changing to 3/8 coarse at least would move the project away from fine
> thread but
> the number of threads in the flywheel goes down + the pressure plate would
> need
> to be drilled to match.
>
>>>The number of threads in the flywheel will go WAY up because the bolts
are .200" longer.   There's plenty of room to enlarge the holes in the
pressure plate too.

> >I'd just heli-coil the one stripped bolt hole back to 5/16ths fine
> thread, look
> for longer bolts for more thread engagement.

> looked briefly and couldn't find any longer 5/16 pressure plate bolts, but
> it's academic anyway, as I didn't want to have all six holes helicoiled when I
> could simply use larger, longer bolts.
>
> >Re. balance, I've never understood drilling pressure plate to balance
> the
> engine, since the PP is a wear item and once replaced, there goes the
> balance.
>
>>>Right--I think what Ken was referring to was having the flywheel
rebalanced with the pressure plate attached to it.   I don't see the need
myself--if all six holes are being enlarged, that shouldn't affect the balance.