[DeTomaso] Good three-wire alternator?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 14:19:40 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/19/12 2:39:00 PM, kirby.schrader at gmail.com writes:

> What do you mean by 'extra weight'?
> My 200 amp alternator is the same size and weight as the 130 amp it
> replaced.
> OK, I didn't actually weight it, but it doesn't feel any heavier so it
> can't be that much different.

The Denso is 3 lbs lighter than stock, physically smaller, has an internal
regulator built in and puts out 75 amps peak compared to a stock Motorcraft
that puts out 61 amps (on a good day). Uprated 'stock' alts use the same
cases with more windings to produce that extra amperage- and copper is a dense
metal. If yours doesn't weigh more, maybe they used aluminum wires in there
but they had to increase the windings to get more current. Many 200-amp alts
that I've seen use larger cases and also include heavier cast-steel
2-sheave pulleys and need dual vee belts if the rated amperage is actually used. It
all adds up- J Deryke