[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pan capacity

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 22:00:26 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/12 12 13 26, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> What's most dangerous is when you think the dipstick is wrong but it
> isn't.

I found that what's even worse is when you think the dipstick is RIGHT, but
it isn't.   My 427 Cobra (with genuine 1966 Cobra side-oiler 427) has a
Lokar dipstick.   It also has a pretty good oil leak from the back of the
intake.   I'd toss a quart in now and then for insurance, but whenever I pulled
the dipstick, it read full, or close to it.

A few months ago I went for a late-night drive in the mountains.   Plonking
around at 2000 rpm in top gear, looking at the stars etc.   After an hour,
got to a short straight, romped on it a bit and at 5000 rpm, the engine went
bangbangbangBANGBANGBANG!!!!!!   I shut it off and coasted to a stop and
waited for the tow truck, grateful that I was within cell range.

Next day I pulled the dipstick--full.   Turned it over to look at the back
side--BONE DRY!!!!   Turns out the dipstick was dragging on something as I
pulled it out, giving a false reading on that side, and I never thought to
check the back side.

Expensive lesson learned.   I think it spun a bearing or three, but I don't
have the time/money to find out.   So for now the Cobra is a garage
ornament. :<(