[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pan capacity

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 22:00:29 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/12 12 33 30, davel at emspace.com writes:

> It seems to me that the dipstick should tell you how much oil is above
> the pickup,
> not how far below the crank the oil surface is.
> To make a dumb example:
>   if the bottom of the pan was 2 feet below the crank you'd just want
> the fill level to be the pan nominal capacity,
>   but you'd want the pickup to be at the recommended clearance from the
> bottom of the pan.
>
> That makes me think that the Armando way is the only right one.
> What am I missing here?
>

>>>You're mixing apples and oranges.   Yes, you want the pickup to be at
the recommended clearance from the bottom of the pan.   And you want as much
oil as possible in the pan, but not so much that it touches the crank.   The
dipstick is intended to gauge the latter measurement.   The
pickup-to-pan-bottom measurement is fixed, and the dipstick won't tell you anything about
it.

Regardless of what kind of pan you use, you want to use putty etc. to test
the clearance between the pickup and the pan bottom and make sure it's set
to the recommended clearance.