[DeTomaso] Clutch

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 21:44:27 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/12 11 26 27, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Just to note, a few people "don't like" the extra wts but no one could
> site personal experience with a problem.  I never notice increased pedal
> effort at high RPM.
>
>>>The Adlers suffered a failure in their car on the track.   Linda (I
think) shifted at high rpm, the weights stuck and the clutch stayed released;
she got the next gear and stood on the gas, and with the pedal up the clutch
was still released.   The thing revved to the moon and then the clutch
exploded, blowing up the bellhousing and maybe damaging the decklid.

Don't be within spitting range of Dave Adler and say the word
"Centerforce"!

> >What caused my question was some memory of someone having a PP hit the
> bell housing - perhaps a Mustang clutch?
>
>>>Yes, that's a typical situation when a standard Ford Mustang/whatever
clutch is put into a Pantera.   When the clutch is engaged the fingers strike
the bellhousing.   The 'fix' is to misadjust the linkage so that the clutch
is partially depressed all the time, leading to premature TO bearing failure
and clutch slippage at high rpm.