[DeTomaso] Clutch?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 21:38:07 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/12 9 18 57, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I have been very happy with my Centerforce/Fidanza.  I had the same model
> in
> my 428 Mustang, and I was happy with it too.  It held well.  The weights
> didn't make a racket or get stuck. The pedal pressure was so much less
> that
> I had to remove the helper spring on the pedal (Mustang - not Pantera).
> With the spring in place, the pedal went to the floor.
>

>>>I had the same issue with the McLeod diaphragm clutch in my GT350 clone.
  It's not only lighter, but it seems as though the pedal effort becomes
less as the pedal gets closer to the floor.   The helper spring on the pedal
assembly would cause it to stick to the floor.   The fix was twofold--modify
the linkage (drill a new hole) to alter the 'gear ratio' and give less total
throw, and remove the helper spring as it is now unnecessary.   I need to
do the second half of that operation this weekend.

The point is that the McLeod diaphragm clutch is probably about the same
lightness as the Centerforce clutch but without all the BS and need for
special bolts, special flywheel, etc. etc.   And it costs a bunch less too, I
think.