[DeTomaso] GT5-S Conversion

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 22:22:54 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/6/12 19 04 4, rfmccall at comcast.net writes:

> What does any of this have to do with the original question?
>

> I plainly stated that Jan's black car was the inspiration and my reason
> for asking about the fit and quality of the body panels that are available
> today.
>
> I am not interested in a carbon copy of a real GT5-S.

> >Mike,
>
> you say that if you wanted a GT5-S Pantera , you would buy a real one but
> then you go on to say that the build quality of the chassis /frame is
> inferior to the '70s cars.
>
>>>In at least one area, although it's relatively easy to address it.

> >If that is true,then why would it be so horrible to convert an
> older/stronger chassis ?? Especially if I wanted a custom car ( simillar to Jan's
> )and NOT a totally original GT5-S???
>
>>>I never said it was 'horrible' to do that job--it's just not
cost-effective normally.   But then again, I was speaking in terms of duplicating a
factory GT5-S.   If you're talking about creating a Kustom Kar like Jan's
Pantera, then you'd be spending a lot more money above and beyond the cost of the
purchase of the car, even if you started with a perfectly good GT5-S.   So
in that case, starting with an early car (preferably one that was quite
rough, but complete and rust-free) would make much more sense.