[DeTomaso] Header ideas for discussion

LS lashdeep at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 20:07:22 EST 2012

A lot of race car design has to do with packaging also. F1 solutions would place a car as low to the ground as possible. Exhaust that exits down and to the sides of the motor may not be as feasible as the 180 arrangement in this case.

Yes, having the weight of the exhaust low is important but maybe not as important as compromising the under chassis air management or suspension design.

Some of this F1 development made its way over to street and GT cars like the GT40 and Pantera since the development was already there. Why develop a new exhaust when a design such as the 180s just won Le Mans?

I'm not going to drop the F bomb again, but many "Italian GTs" in the old days had F1 technology carried over from their racing counterparts. A lot of it made no sense whatsoever...like ultra light magnesium wheels on a 3900lb four seater!

But why design something new and maybe 10% better when a perfectly good design from the race team is just down the hallway?

Also, as Mike says, development changes things. Back when 180s were the optimum, heads, intakes, ignition, fuel, etc. were not what they are today. As technology changes, so does tuning.

One of the premium Cobra/GT40/Shelby preparers in the country just switched from a 1 7/8 primary header> 3 inch X pipe>3 inch dual side exit exhaust  TO a  1 5/8 primary header > 2.5 inch X Pipe> 2.5 inch single exit exhaust on their recent development of a 580bhp 8500rpm 295 inch small block Ford.

It doesn't sound right, but it worked for their criteria and current combination of parts and tuning.

LS

central
wines-spirits   est 1934

625 e street nw