[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pan capacity

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 20:01:32 EST 2012

You should also remember, though, that "Full" means full enough to never
suck air.

The factory might (and sometimes did) overfill the pan to keep from spinning
bearings.  The tradeoff was more oil trapped up in the crank - which is
rarely a good thing.  ;-)

The 8qt/10qt pans hold more and have nice baffles, so that might mean you
can get away with running less oil.  See where I'm going?

One of the bulletins had the shop shorten dipsticks so drivers would run
more oil, and thus prevent spun bearings.  If you have a longer dipstick and
a proper pan, you probably don't need to shorten it.

So, while it is fair to say that the dipstick level should be the same, your
post from Armando is probably a better approach.

I am tired and not making sense, so I better take a break and get some
dinner.