[DeTomaso] Header ideas for discussion

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 18:21:56 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/6/12 13 13 0, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> Why did some racers, GT-40s, use 180 headers and McClarens & Lolas (even
> with Ford engines) not.
> There was room for either type.

It was a short-lived technical dead-end, I think.   While there were
theoretical benefits to the bundle-of-snakes exhaust, the practical benefits
didn't outweigh the weight, cost and complexity, and the idea quickly fell out of
favor, particularly as engines started making more power and revving
higher.

There are some roundy-round race cars that still use 180-degree exhausts,
such as this one:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Schoenfeld-Small-Block-Chevy-180-Degree-Header
s,3517.html

This uses two collectors stacked vertically rather than side-by-side like
we're accustomed to, but the theory is the same.

Burns Stainless has some good info on the 180-degree design here:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/bundleofsnakes-2.aspx

If maximum efficiency and performance is the only design criteria for a
Pantera exhaust system, I think an over-the-top speedboat-style 4-into-1 system
with a crossover would be the best bet.