[DeTomaso] Wilkinson "silver-zinc" header coating?????

Doug Braun doug351c at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:40:43 EST 2012

Steve called it silver colored zinc not silver and zinc so my impression
was that the plating is standard silver colored zinc chromate like that use
on hardware store fasteners as opposed to the gold colored zinc di-chromate
which is also used on hardware store fasteners.  Both of these platings are
somewhat effective at preventing rusting of the underlying steel but I
wouldn't trust it in a header application.  Regardless, Steve said that the
plating is suitable for having ceramic coating placed over the top of it
and I would recommend it.  If you want to be absolutely sure about the
plating composition though, you'll need to contact Steve.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505