[DeTomaso] NPC Trouble Shooting and Compression Test Question

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 12:28:06 EST 2012

> But there are no signs of a blown head gasket...so I suggested throwing the heads back on just to
> do a quick compression check to see if there are any glaring problems.

Victor-Reinz makes carbon impression paper which can be put in place
of the headgasket to see
if the block and head are flat and making a good seal.   Whie smoke
means water is getting
somewhere (sucked in through the intake manifold gasket or a porousity
somewhere).  Had
an Ford 427 FE that was filling the sump with water after a rebuild.
Turned out the Edelbrock F427
intake was porous right behind one of the pushrods.  It would weep
water out which would travel
down the pushrod.  I like to use straight water on the initial fill
with K&W block seal to catch anything
like that now (replace with coolant once no leaks are verified).

Dan Jones