[DeTomaso] GT5-S Gill material

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 10:00:26 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/3/12 8 34 35, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> 3) If the answer is "no", what would be a good material to use to produce
> reproduction? From my limited knowledge of fiberglass, I don't think it
> would be practical for any cloth-based material. Or would it? Are there
> any
> cost-effective ways to machine a duplicate out of some type of plastic -
> nylon or something? Aluminum would probably be cost prohibitive.

When this first came up, I researched it.   Bobby Byars said he could
reproduce them in a lighter material, except that they wouldn't look the
same--there would have to be fewer bars in the grille.

You know what would work perfectly for this, I think?   Have you ever seen
that video of the plastic toolmaking machine, which is so awesome that it
can make a perfect working crescent wrench out of plastic?   Jay Leno featured
it on his website and in an article in Popular Mechanics:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/articles/jay-lenos-3d-printer-replaces-
rusty-old-parts-1/

This would be a perfect application for that technology.