[DeTomaso] CHARLIE MCCALL CHECK YOUR FACEBOOK INVITES

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:10:25 EST 2012

I don't wan to join the list of "crack pots " and "Paranoids" but some
information I have recently read has raised some serious concerns
regarding privacy and the potential for abuse of ones personal
information.  Face book is part of the group of Internet companies that is
in a position to use and disseminate information on it's members in ways
most  would find objectionable.  Google (at the moment) is an even more
egregious abuser of it's users personal information. Google and it's
affiliate companies , You Tube, G-mail etc.( the list is much to long to
write here) They published their new privacy policy yesterday that include
all their companies and affiliates. The issues that I find most disturbing
upon a cursory examination are the following. 1. Their new privacy policy
is  stated with the following caveat ( this is not verbatim but the message
is accurate as relayed here to you) Take it or leave it! There is no
opportunity offered to "opt out" to inclusion in any of their privacy or
information policies. If you don't like  their policies they tell you to
withdraw from all of their services. For many people and organizations this
is not a simple task. Since they are a Monopoly or hold a monopoly position
in some of their areas of technology It is not "practical" to just withdraw
from using their services. As an example , If you use or own a smart phone
that uses Android as it's operating system you are  inextricably
intertwined in the world of Google technology. You will in most cases have
a contractual obligation to stay with your current carrier for  an average
time period of two years. So you can't just "withdraw"  If you use G-mail
as your e-mail provider you know it's not a simple task to just change your
e-mail provider. I won't go into all the other details and combinations of
circumstances that illustrate the difficulties of withdrawing from the
world of Google technology. The European Union has declared them a
"Monopoly" and informed them (Google) before they made the announcement of
their "New" privacy policy that it was illegal and a violation of the
rights of individuals rights of privacy under the laws of the European
Union. For Google to move forward and implement this new policy in spite of
notification  of it's being declared illegal  bu the EU is  a degree of
arrogance that I can't recall in recent history. If anyone is interested in
the degree and amount of personal information that these companies are
gathering and saving on all of their users I suggest you do a little
research  and" light reading" . I guarantee you will have your eyes opened!
As technology continues to move forward in leaps and bounds and the ability
to store massive amounts of information becomes easier and cheaper to
potential for abuse is mind boggling. As I said in the beginning of this
tirade I didn't want to come across as a paranoid but the reality of what
is taking place is reminiscent of George Orwell's 1984 only this is not
science fiction and the abilities that now exist are real and much scarier
then those outlined in the book. We must be sure that the laws that protect
us keep pace with the advances made in technology.
Boyd