[DeTomaso] Just the facts survey

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 16:22:35 EST 2012

In a message dated 3/1/12 13 03 14, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> I thought all 74's were really left over 73 models after DeTomaso and
> Ford
> fell out with each other?

Again with these rumors that were unfounded when new, and just refuse to
die.

It's true that all 1970 Shelby Mustangs were leftover 1969 Shelbys; they
were changed for the new model year with different striping.   However,
Panteras were produced by Ford well into the 1974 calendar year, and they even
explored the possibility of creating a new 1975 model with different front and
rear ends and different styling; a prototype was made on a 6000-series
Pantera body.   But Ford axed the program partway through the 1974 calendar year
and that prototype remained a one-off (and was sold to a Michigan dentist
who owned it for many years until he died, and it was sold off and now resides
in England, although I don't know the owner).

The last "Ford" Pantera was #7380; it was made in (or after) June 1974.