[DeTomaso] Just the facts survey

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 13:08:33 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/29/12 13 49 31, cmccann1972 at gmail.com writes:

> Agreed. Mine is titled as a 72 (3925) and is definitely a pre-L, with
> original Pre-L bumpers, which makes sense because this says Lusso's start at
> 4269.  But according to this my car is a 73.
>
>>>"this" is very wrong.   The first 470 L-models (built in fall 1972) were
classified as 1972 1/2 model years cars by Ford, from #4269 through #4839.
 #4840 was the first '73 car, although the distinction was completely
arbitrary--somebody just drew a line and said, "everything after this is a 1973
car!"

>  My Marti report states manufactured in September of 72.
> Hmmm..
>
>>>Perhaps completed in September; the body was laid down in July.   My
Marti confirms what my door tag and VIN all say, that my car #3960 was a July
'72 car, and I would more-than-half-expect yours to be the same.

> >Well, its so rusty and rickety I think it has lost its original identity.
>
>>>Do you still have the plastic ID tag that went on the driver's side
doorjamb?