[DeTomaso] modular engine questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Mar 1 03:00:54 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/29/12 2:52:33 PM, cmccann1972 at gmail.com writes:

> My ZF fits my Lincoln MK8- based Teksid 4.6 DOHC just fine, granted Ive
> just mocked it up for a test fit ...but Steve's doesn't fit in  others don't
> seem to fit. Thoughts?

There was a two-part POCA article published Sept & Oct '07 by Dave Doddek
of Chicago on the hoops he had to jump thru to adapt a 4.6 DOHC (Lincoln, I
think; Steve L can tell you not all 4.6-DOHCs are identical- Teksid vs
Romeo)- with a non-stock Eaton blower- into a Pantera. Photos & parts lists were
impressive. Apparently it helps to be an electrical engineer, a TIG welder
and a fabricator, and have 3 or 4 months available in a heated garage to
finish it up.... Once finally done, it ran well, had a flat firewall and the
owner was (still is) happy.
As Forest mentioned, the rear cylinder head corners usually have to be
bandsawed off for clearance; in one wide-body '87, the rear inner fender panels
needed to be notched and boxed as the hand-made inner fenders are bulkier,
and there was some sort of clearance problem at one front corner. Wilkinson
reportedly had the engine in & out of the '87 three times for trimming here
'n there, and he'd done earlier Panteras several times. The 5.4s may be a
little easier since its a taller block so the heads sit above the inner
fenders. I've not done this but modulars seem NOT to be a bolt-in swap, ignoring
adapting the computerized engine to Pantera wiring   FWIW- J Deryke