[DeTomaso] Cracking

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue Jun 26 07:31:30 EDT 2012

Since a full paint job is in the future for me, and current paint job has
more cracks than Dolly Parton's face, this is topic of interest for me...

My thoughts: Once got an 82 Camaro painted by a pro. It had soft bumpers
front and rear in body color. We discussed the details, and he said he
would pour in "softener" as he would normally do for the bumpers, but he
would use it for all the paint, paint it in one go. I didn't like the
sound of that, but he said he had done it often, never had problems. So
he painted the whole car with "softened" paint, and it was perfect, never
had any issues with that paint, it didn't go semi gloss or something like
that, or scratch easliy. Car was black, most difficult color.

Could that be the solution, soft paint all over = no cracks? I know it
sounds too good to be true. Any pro painters out there that know?

Mikael