[DeTomaso] Final Drive Gear Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 11:24:18 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/24/12 8 18 21, sdlgibson at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I've been checking into a higher 5th gear to ease highway cruise rpm, and
> was contemplating doing it myself, but one of the vendors told me that
> there is some machining involved on some of the other parts to let the new
> gearset fit.  Anyone know if there is necessary machining, or if the gears can
> just be "swapped" out?
>

>>>It's not a do-it-yourself job.   There is some very precise fitting that
needs to be done.   For that reason, Lloyd Butfoy won't sell a tall fifth
gear as an over-the-counter part to just anybody.   You need to establish
your ability to tear a ZF apart and put it back together before he'll agree to
sell it to you.   He doesn't want unhappy results.   And more to the point,
he doesn't want bad word-of-mouth that might result from somebody messing up
the procedure and then blaming his part, instead of their installation.

He would much rather have you ship him your gearbox.