[DeTomaso] Chrome fiberglass?

klckmac at msn.com klckmac at msn.com
Sat Jun 23 11:18:57 EDT 2012

Here's a link to a place that provides an actual electroplated chrome to metals/plastics and fibergalss and some info about fibergalss metalizing, if that's what you guys are talking about.

Just a heads up to throw something into the discussion. I'm sure there are other places around the country that may do the same electroplating of plastics and fiberglass as well.

Ken
72L 4443

http://customcoatings.net/index.html

Our Mission
Offer an exclusive process for copper-nickel-chrome triple Electroplating of all types of Rigid Plastic including Fiberglass.

CUSTOM COATINGS
Compare Electroplated Plastic And Fiberglass to vacuum metalizing.
The vacuum metalized finish (THIS IS NOT WHAT WE DO) consists of a thin coating of aluminum (NOT CHROME) protected by a clear coating, usually of polyurethane. This clear coating is subject to cracking, peeling and yellowing and is often not compatible with the paints used to detail vacuum metalized finishes. Also, you must use a low-adhesive tape when painting the vacuum metalized pieces to avoid leaving tape marks in the clear coat or even pulling the finish off down to the bare plastic.
This process was used by original equipment auto manufacturers only for interior pieces. The fragile nature of vacuum metalized finishes have kept automakers from using the process on exterior or engine parts.
In contrast, the copper-nickel-chrome electroplated surface will not crack or yellow and is free of dirt, runs, sags, and orange peel commonly present on vacuum metalized pieces. The bluish luster provided by the chrome topcoat is more eye-appealing than the yellowish-tinge of vacuum metalized topcoats. Chrome is the toughest topcoat available for auto parts finishes and will far outlast the fragile paint based vacuum metalized topcoat. In addition you can use any kind of tape for painting chrome plated parts, even duct tape. Try that with a vacuum metalized finish!!!
So now instead of painting those exterior plastic pieces (Grilles. Motorcycle Body & Engine Parts and Fiberglass Reproduction Parts, Such as Headlight Pots, Radiator Shrouds, Etc.) You can have the long lasting durable eye catching beauty of electroplated Chrome.

Contact Information

Telephone
850-562-0538
FAX