[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 95, Issue 22-Wheel Spacers

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 11:31:56 EDT 2012

On one of my earlier Pontiac Firebirds I ran
a set of wheels that required spacers on the rear
The car had 255/60 series autocross tires on a 16" rim
I just epoxied the spacer to the wheel.. I pulled a trailer
with the car to hold my tires... changed the wheels, ran
the event and changed them back.. No issues for a couple
of years and we ran 16 -20 events per year back then

I would like to point out that the studs were changed to longer
ones and speeds for autocrossing where mostly under 80 mph

Every car I have hotrodded has had the bigger tires stuffed under
the wheelwells and yes they do hit but you cut, roll the fenders etc
My current firebird will not back up with the wheel turned all the way
sort of like an ebrake.. never notice it going forward???

My Pantera has unproper 18" wheels all the way around on a stock
bodied car with fenders pulled, rolled etc and I love the look and
the way an 18" wheel makes the car handle.. I like being the black
sheep

Bob Benson