[DeTomaso] water pump , thermostat question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 15:42:01 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/19/12 11:43:00 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Will a bad thermostat keep all the coolant trapped in the motor?

Yes. For whatever reason. the most common failure mode for wax-motor
thermostats is to fail- closed. I've had the same problem with 351-Cs, big-block
Fords and 289 small blocks   as well as a couple of SBCs, in a whole variety
of cars. Also for whatever reason, I get about 12 months out of ANY
thermostat I install in our modified 351-C engine in a Pantera. Fortunately, with an
aftermarket waterpump that does not use the 351-C bypass system, I can use
virtually ANY thermostat.
I have used 351-C, 351-W, 289 Ford and even a 350 Chevy, in a whole variety
of temperature ratings; they all work in our 351-C if the bypass channel is
blocked off in the water pump. Note also that in my testing, a 160, a 180
or a 192 F thermostat did NOT significantly change the fully warmed up engine
temp; that seems to be a function of the coolant routing built into the
engine block assembly. Even changing cylinder heads from OEM iron to
aftermarket aluminum (SVO A-3s) didn't lower our fully warmed up cruising engine temp.
  Using a larger capacity Fluidyne radiator did control the
previously-uncontrolled temp climb at very high speeds, though. Good luck- J Deryke