[DeTomaso] How long for windows to open/close?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 15:21:06 EDT 2012

I had the same sticking problem in our driver's door since 1990. After
fiddling with our lifts for years- including making multiple spacers and cutting
new guide bolt slots- I lost patience and threw the entire OEM assemblies
on a shelf and added Ted Mitchell's cable drive lifts. Problem solved- and
the glass retracts fully instead of almost. Time to close= 2 seconds on both
sides and the change significantly lightened up the door assembly. Sure,
they're expensive but how much is a year or two of unproductive, frustrated
fiddling worth? It gets really old having to grab the glass and 'help it' go to
the top on sucn otherwise spectacular car.

I believe the problem is in the stock rear window guide track- it's either
slightly the wrong contour and/or has worn out fuzzy liners- and no amount
of fiddling with what you've got will fix the problem of sticking 2/3 of the
way up. Ted's assembly uses a new rear window glass guide of different
design. The OEM problems are made worse by a relatively weak French-built DC
motor which after 40 years can have multiple problems of its own: no lube in the
bushings or good grease in the gear drive, worn brushes or smeared copper
commutator, etc. Changing motors to Aerostar fixes that part of the problem
but not the worn out/wrong glass guide. And you also need Hall's bronze gears
in the still-used OEM drives even with a new Aerostar motor.
Good luck- J Deryke