[DeTomaso] Cleveland starters - Looking for thoughts on the subject

Jerry R Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Tue Jun 19 12:37:54 EDT 2012

Finally got my home phone back functioning after 6 days.
Called DB and verified that indeed I have the two correct starters.  The
0001 is a long snout  and the 0012 is a short snout, otherwise the same
starter.  We do not know why the long snout sometimes doesn't engage the
flywheel,but bounces off.  The starter gear on the unit will work for 157 or
164 tooth flywheels.  The problem of non engagement is new.  I am replacing
the direct drive starter because of  hot start problems.  I am going to put
the new DB starter back in and use an amp-clamp to find if there is
something wrong with the starter unit.  It did cook a battery with 36 months
left on the warranty.

Will try to get this done this afternoon or tomorrow.  DB did assure me that
if there is a problem with the starter that they will warranty it.

Onward and upward,
jerry