[DeTomaso] Wheel hub centric rings

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 15 18:18:15 EDT 2012

I like the sound of hub centric wheels a lot. It appeared as though our
Panteras originally had this arrangement between the Campy wheels and or
hubs. Maybe they did, in the design stage? Sadly, I have several sets of
unmodified Campys from 1972-81, including a nice set of "original paint" 15
x 10s and some very original hollow axles and front hubs, and none of them
fit snugly enough to do any good at centering the wheels accurately. They
all rely on the studs with tapered nuts to center the wheels. Shucks! It was
good theory anyway. Steve Wilkinson pointed this out for me when I was
insisting on axles that fit my wheels in the center recesses. I went and
checked my original parts and they weren't snug either! Not as loose his new
axle, but not close enough to achieve centering of the wheel either.

Barry

----

Tomas,

You wrote:

Was that on the Pantera or on the Scirocco? Cars with studs should be less
sensitive than cars with wheel screws.

>>>Good point--it was on the Scirocco, which has bolts instead of studs.

But still--centering rings are a really good idea, and shouldn't be
difficult to find at a quality tire-and-wheel store. You won't find them at
a normal repair shop, but should find them at a store that retails all sorts
of aftermarket wheels.

Mike