[DeTomaso] Wheel hub centric rings

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Jun 15 00:53:38 EDT 2012

The Pantera Research Institute, Pacific Northwest Inland Empire
Extension has just completed a test fit of aftermarket Mustang Cobra R
wheels to a 1973 DeTomaso Pantera.  Photos and details can be seen here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=5037

These are 17x9 wheels with a 6" backspace.  Clearances and spacing
appear to be good with the exception of the front flexible brake line
which we can adjust.  However,....

We found the wheels are not hub-centric, as we expected with aftermarket
wheels.  Measuring the wheel hub and the center hole of the wheel we
came up with the following:

- hub = 61.773mm (Front)
- wheel = 70.866mm

That's a -lot- of space to take up, though our measurements may be a bit
off, one can never quite tell in these things.  So we are after a set of
wheel hub centric rings that will take up the slack.  It would appear
our best option might be a set of 71mm x 63.36mm like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71-6336-Centric-63-36mm/dp/B00280CSBO/ref=sr_1_116?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1339734287&sr=1-116

Before we go off and buy a set (not that they are expensive), we'd like
to get more feedback on what others have measured for their front wheel
hub diameter (where the wheel fits).  If we are measuring 61.7mm, that's
pretty close to 62mm which would give us about 1mm clearance to these
rings (probably better a smidge loose than too darn tight).

And as always, we'd appreciate any opinions out there.

Thank you,
Next on our list.... Tires!
Asa Jay
<Chief mechanic and research scientist>