[DeTomaso] NPC: vintage-style license plates in CA

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Thu Jun 14 23:13:38 EDT 2012

Not clear from the article if this will mean one will be able to get a 2012
seven digit license number in the old color style, or if one can get their
existing plate numbers "remanufactured" or re-issued.  The latter seems unlikely
since the prisons likely scrapped the tooling for the non-reflective stamped
plates, yet the former would not have the same cachet as today's "black plate"
and "blue plate" has  ( such as ads for cars stating "blue plate", "black plate"
).

Never understood why the DMV won't sell replacement plates with the same numbers
as the one you already have.  They could raise some bucks, help pay off the
deficit.

I did hear recently, maybe someone can confirm, if you have some paperwork
proving a black or blue plate was ever issued to a car, and you still have the
plates, you can get them re-assigned, even if the car has fallen out of the DMV
system or was downgraded to vanity or plain reflective.

My neighbor recently swapped blue plates for vanity, I haven't asked but I'm
afraid he failed to keep the blue plates ( by saying "oh, they're misplaced,
sorry, thought I had them" ) instead of giving them up.  Really a shame after
40+ years.

GD