[DeTomaso] (Clutch) viewing hole cover

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 14:12:52 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/11/12 5:46:18 AM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> I bought one from Hall my last parts shipment. It was a one-piece black
> rubber plug. Problem is, on the bell housing of my '71, there are two
> smaller holes.  Are the early cars different?  Is it the ZF or the housing?

The early cars with a dash-1-1/2 ZF (LLoyd Butfoy's term for what you have:
a transition Pantera differential carrier with a Mangusta transmission) had
a completely different bellhousing with two smaller holes so Hall's plug
won't fit. Your system has extra ventillation with its two holes but one thing
you can do to help it live is to remove the two side bolts going from the
bellhousing to each side of your ZF. Engine torque loosens the side bolts
which then cracks the ears on the ZF side plates, sometimes bad enough to dump
all the lubrication, wasting the whole ZF if you don't instantly notice.
There are practically no spare parts for those particular transaxles, by the
way. Gearing was different, shaft diameters amd lengths were different....
there's a long list of things changed. Good luck- J DeRyke