[DeTomaso] Pantera Lust

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 22:06:00 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I was doing a homework assignment, leafing through back issues of the PCNC
newsletter that I've been creating each month since 1991, when I stumbled
across a short article I wrote regarding a day spent with Steve Mooney, who
was/is a San Francisco police officer.   I had completely forgotten about the
first (and by far the most interesting) part of this episode, and when I
re-read the story I knew it needed to be shared here.

This took place in November of 1997....

Mike

====

Pantera Lust
By Mike Drew

It started out as just another ordinary assignment for POCA.   I was to
meet up with the owner of a particularly noteworthy De Tomaso, and arrange for
a photo shoot in order to create a feature article for PROFILES, the POCA
quarterly magazine.   Long ago I had decided that when Steve Mooney’s GT5
Pantera was complete, it would be featured in the magazine, so upon hearing that
it was up and running, I made arrangements to meet him and drive to a
scenic spot, camera in hand.

Steve is a longtime resident of the East Bay, and said he knew some
terrific back roads in the Oakland hills.   After a bit of freeway droning, we
found ourselves on a twisty mountain road with a 35 mph speed limit.   Steve was
‘exercising’ the car a bit, but not more than about 15 mph over the limit.
  We came hustling around a corner, when we met a police car coming the
other way.   Steve glanced in the mirror and said, “Uh-oh, he’s turning
around.   I’m not going to make him work for it, I’ll pull over at the next
opportunity.”

Around the next bend we discovered a very large pull-off area, and Steve
quickly pulled off the road and drove towards the far end.   We happened to
notice there was an old El Camino parked at the near end of this pullout, but
didn’t take any notice of it.

What we didn’t know at the time was that inside this El Camino were two
teenagers.   And it happened that these teenagers were both *completely naked!*
  Furthermore, these teenagers were doing what all teenagers do when they’
re stark naked in an automobile in a secluded spot.

The thing is, when the Pantera went rumbling past and came to stop some 75
feet in front of them, the guy stopped!   He looked out the windshield and
said, “Hey, what kind of car is that?”   To which his girlfriend undoubtedly
replied, “Huh?”   “Check it out, it’s a bitchin’ lookin’ car, maybe a
Lamborghini or somethin’!”   So the guy was looking at the Pantera, while his
frustrated girlfriend was scowling at him, and thus neither of them noticed
the police car that silently glided to a halt behind them.

The officer started walking up the road, and as he passed the El Camino his
keen powers of observation led him to a startling conclusion.   “Hey!
These people are completely naked!”    With instincts honed by over 20 years of
law enforcement experience, he concluded, “This bears further investigation!
”

He had his ticket book and pen in his hand, so he reached out and tapped on
the window with the end of his pen.

Reaction inside the car was immediate.   The guy looked over and saw a
police officer standing alongside of him.   He immediately knew he was in
trouble, because he had been Doing Something Wrong.   However, perhaps because
seeing the Pantera had thrilled him to the point of distraction, or perhaps
because most of his blood was currently located in an organ other than his
brain, the guy apparently forgot that he was naked!

He casually rolled down the window, and in his best singsong “Who, me?”
voice, calmly said, “Why, what seems to be the problem officer?”

His girlfriend, in the meantime, was having an apoplectic fit, frantically
trying to conceal her obvious nudity, and began tapping her guy on the arm
to get him to follow suit.   He was initially irritated at her incessant
interruptions, saying, “Honey, I’m talking to the officer here!”   He finally
glanced over at her, then noticed her state of undress.   He then glanced
down and saw his similar state, and the realization suddenly hit!   DOOP!

The officer retreated to a discreet distance to allow them time to get
dressed again, and while there, Steve went over and introduced himself, and
issued the Secret Handshake which indicated he was a member of the brotherhood
of officers.   All talk of Steve’s ticket was immediately dismissed.

However, we stuck around chuckling while the teenagers were issued a
citation for indecent exposure, etc. and after they left, as a second officer had
arrived (this one on a motorcycle) we staged a nice photo shoot of Steve
supposedly receiving a ticket from these two.   It’s a perfectly classic setup,
and the resultant photos turned out great!   Look for them in the next
issue.

The lesson from all this is, if you should happen to find yourself being
pulled over, do whatever you can to stop near people who are doing something
worse (or at least more interesting) than you were!